Dream BIG. Build your career story.
This page contains a selection of investigation jobs advertised externally. We’ve chosen some to show you what great roles there are in this industry, whether you’re looking for work as a private investigator, government/corporate investigator, work, health and safety or in many of the roles in the justice system.
Another good way to see what’s out there is to hop onto www.seek.com and type in the role you’re looking for. Type in “Investigator” and see what comes up!
We’ve also included some short videos of real investigators working across industry and government. Check them out to see what it’s really like.
To learn more about what careers are out there in the world of investigation,
hear some more career snapshots.
Here’s an entry level role working in local laws compliance and investigation. You need fundamental investigation skills and great communication skills. You’ll also need the ability to negotiate, ...
Here’s a fantastic entry level role working in the court system as an Administration Officer, assisting the Queensland State Coroner. Our Certificate IV in Justice Studies would set you up well for ...
- High level of interpersonal skills
- Knowledge companion animals act, Australian road rule, local government act and public spaces unattended property act.
- A genuine passion to work in a successful team.
- Skills to manage and prioritise tasks.
Another great local government investigation and compliance role, this time on the beautiful mid north coast of New South Wales. You’ll be providing compliance and enforcement oversight of public an...
- Conduct proactive patrols and respond to a variety of Animal based complaints across the City
- Deliver appropriate and equitable regulatory action such as warnings and infringement notices in a professional manner
- Impound/seize animals found wandering at large or posing a threat to public safety
- Participate in Animal Management community awareness and engagement activities such as school presentations, community events and public consultation sessions
Multiple positions available for Animal Management Officers on the beautiful Gold Coast. You’ll be responsible for investigating dog attacks, interviewing complainants and witnesses, putting briefs ...
- processing passengers at an air or seaport
- clearing cargo at an air or sea port
- x-raying, investigating and clearing mail at a clearance centre
- working at a district office in remote locations
- investigating illegal border activity
- locating and detaining unlawful non-citizens.
What sort of careers exist if you do our Certificate IV in Justice Studies, or our Certificate IV in Government Investigations? This one! Here’s a great entry level role with the Australian B...
Here's the link.
Here’s a great role advertised in NSW in a number of different areas. As a Biosecurity Officer you’ll undertake field and regulatory activities to support programs and advisory services and also b...
Here’s another interesting, non-sworn, police role as a Police Auxiliary Officer – Coronial Investigations. You’ll be responsible for assisting detectives working in the coronial Inv...
- Induction of prisoners into the centre
- Staffing prisoner accommodation units
- Supporting and overseeing prisoner attendance at vocational training, education & employment
- Supporting engagement in cultural programs
- Creating file notes and reports for case management.
- Operating control rooms
- Undertaking perimeter surveillance and searches
- External escorts
- Capricornia Correctional Centre (Rockhampton)
- Townsville Correctional Centre (Townville)
- Lotus Glen Correctional Centre (Mareeba)
Here’s a role fit for those undertaking our Certificate IV in Justice Studies. Roles in Corrections are plentiful, and these departments offer great security and diversity. You’ll need a t...
- C Class ‘Manual’ Drivers Licence.
- Experience in the interpretation and compliance of regulations/local laws
It’s really doesn’t get much better than this for a local government investigation and compliance role! In one of the best parts of Australia, you’ll be responsible for investigating local law b...
- Patrolling allocated sectors and beats; issuing penalty notices for breaches of the parking legislation and other legislation under which they are authorised to act;
- Assisting members of the public with their day to day enquiries as a representative of the City of Sydney;
- Performing all duties efficiently and effectively to achieve the City Ranger unit goals and objectives.
Great local government investigation and compliance role in Australia’s biggest city. As City Ranger you will be responsible for providing a high-quality customer service. Day-to-day you ...
- Carry out regulatory functions of Council, including detection, investigation and enforcement of:
- Contribute to the development and delivery of services including educational programs.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of Council’s administrative systems.
- Maintain effective evidentiary records in accordance with Council and Policies and Procedures.
- Promote information sharing and knowledge transfer to drive evidence-based decision-making, enhance capability and optimise capacity
- Contribute to the performance of Council: demonstrate professional conduct, make the best use of knowledge, experience and skills and be accountable for own decisions and actions
- Contribute to a safe workplace: comply with legislative and organisational requirements and be accountable for own decisions and actions
Here’s another great local government investigation and compliance role, this time working in the snow! You’ll be responsible for investigation of animals, littering, parking, footpath lic...
Here’s a great opportunity for those interested in work health and safety investigations. All states have work safe authorities that offer Inspector roles. It’s interesting, challenging and rewarding work, keeping people safe.
At PICA, we have the ultimate qualifications package for this type of role; a Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety and a Certificate IV in Government Investigations. Combine the two for a great saving!Eligibility/Other Requirements:
- Undergo mandatory training in order to perform the functions of an authorised Inspector in accordance with all relevant legislation.
- Current unrestricted driver’s licence.
- Willingness to:
- Participate in an after-hours on-call and telephone roster when required.
- Wear a uniform.
- Participate in programmed after hours compliance activities when required.
- Undergo a pre-employment police check.
Here’s a great opportunity for those interested in work health and safety investigations. All states have work safe authorities that offer Inspector roles. It’s interesting, challenging and reward...
- Receive and assess complex and sensitive complaints and information from employees and stakeholders to determine whether it amounts to suspected corrupt conduct or a public interest disclosure.
- Undertake investigations into complaints of corrupt conduct and misconduct within Metro North Hospital and Health Service.
Here’s a great role for those investigators looking at going into workplace investigations. This job deals with misconduct within the health sector and a Certificate IV in Government Investigations ...
- providing excellent customer service support.
- providing front-line and operational security functions to support parliamentary business consisting of:
- Mobile patrols of the building.
- First response capability in the event of a security incident or emergency (Lockdown / Evacuations).
- First aid response to medical situations.
- Deescalating situations in the event of protests.
- conducting x-ray and explosive trace detection screening.
- performing administrative duties to support the security function.
Here’s a great role for those interested in doing our certificate IV in Justice Studies! Check out this job at Department of Parliamentary Services: Parliamentary Security Service (PSS) Officers...
Here’s another great local government investigator and compliance role where you’ll be responsible for carrying out patrols, raising community awareness of illegal parking behaviour, companion animals and reporting related issues observed on duty and enforcement of related legislation and regulations as necessary to reduce the level of illegal parking.
There’s stacks of these types of positions all across the country, and a Certificate IV in Government Investigations is generally required.The successful candidate will demonstrate the following key skills and attributes:
- Tertiary qualifications and/or demonstrated knowledge and experience in relevant local government regulatory functions and services or similar activities.
- Knowledge and understanding of local government regulatory, environmental, building, development control, certification and protection of the environment functions and services.
- Extensive experience in a similar role.
- Experience in issuing penalty notices using electronic devices.
- High level interpersonal communication, negotiation, mediation and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to thoroughly research, assess and determine regulatory matters, negotiate and develop solutions to achieve satisfactory outcomes.
- Ability to observe details, record information in an accurate and legible manner and write quality reports.
- Ability to competently and effectively handle and control animals, particularly dogs and cats.
- Ability to exercise delegation of authority and to operate effectively and professionally with limited direct supervision.
- Willingness to work a rotating roster, including weekends and public holidays
- Commitment to living our values of respect, integrity, trust, teamwork and optimism.
Here’s another great local government investigator and compliance role where you’ll be responsible for carrying out patrols, raising community awareness of illegal parking behaviour, companion an...