Working in a small team, the Senior Investigator in the Office of the Independent Assessor (OIA) will investigate and where appropriate provide brief material to the Independent Assessor for consideration of prosecuting alleged contraventions of the Local Government Act 2009 and/or the City of Brisbane Act 2010.
The Office of the Independent Assessor (OIA) exists to improve accountability, integrity and transparency of local governments in Queensland by providing impartial assessment and investigation of all complaints about the conduct of councillors. The Independent Assessor also provides advice, training and information about dealing with alleged or suspected inappropriate conduct, misconduct or corrupt conduct to councillors, local government employees and the public. The Independent Assessor also prosecutes misconduct offences via the Councillor Conduct Tribunal (CCT).
As a Senior Investigator in the OIA, and reporting to the Deputy Independent Assessor, you will:
• Utilise the powers appointed to investigators under Chapter 5A of the Local Government Act 2009 to investigate allegations of misconduct and corrupt conduct.
• Assess information against evidentiary requirements of the local government legislation to accurately inform the course of an investigation through the case management process.
• Develop investigation plans for assigned cases.
• Provide critical technical and evidential advice using collaborative decision-making processes and prepare high quality investigation reports for the Independent Assessor.
• Review and prepare coercive notices and exercise coercive powers as delegated.
• Conduct complex and/or sensitive and high-profile investigations.
• Represent the OIA and give evidence on local government matters heard before the CCT.
To be successful in this role you must have demonstrated experience in conducting investigations, applying legislation, policy frameworks and relevant legal concepts in a fast-paced, results driven environment.
As a critical thinker you will have excellent communication skills and will value building enduring relationships within a small and effective team. A Certificate IV or Diploma in Investigations and/or Diploma in Government (Investigations) would be highly regarded.
This role is temporary to 10 June 2022 to backfill parental leave. Applications will remain current to fill another Senior Investigator job vacancy to 30 June 2023.
Applications to remain current of 12 months
Job Ad Reference: QLD/379477/21
Closing Date: Monday 26 July 2021
Submit a Word version of your CV via this link